The past few weeks, I have done a bad job meeting deadlines. NOT RECOMMENDED. However, procrastination does happen, and when we do procrastinate, we are forced to push ourselves far beyond our limits in order to get things done on time.
Basically, it’s sort of good for us. In the long-term. Maybe.
Below is a series of thoughts I have had over the past week, several days of which have involved me writing for eight, nine, most recently even 10 hours straight (not including grabbing coffee, eating food, petting my cat, etc). I offer no apologies for the mashed potatoes oozing out of my brain right now.
- No human is probably actually supposed to do this.
- It is possible to do it regardless.
- I think.
- Pretty sure I just spelled “monopoly” three different ways, all wrong.
- I need more coffee.
- Don’t get me wrong, I love writing, but what is my brain even doing right now.
- I just got a new idea for an article. OF COURSE I DID.
- Why do I always do this to myself?
- I wonder how many thousands of words I’ve written this week.
- I don’t have time to count. Shut up, brain.
- No, wait, don’t shut up, I still need you.
- Writing about personal finance books. Want to read a personal finance book. I don’t have any personal finances. HELP
- Markiplier just uploaded a new video. I want it. I can’t have it. I need it.
- When did it get dark? What is time?
- Another idea for an article, that I don’t have time to write. Thanks, brain.
- Why is it snowing in April?
- A caffeine bracelet? I’ll take 30
- YOUR SKIN LITERALLY ABSORBS CAFFEINE
- OH MY GOD IT’S BURNING!
- I need a new laptop. One day this one is going to die and I’ll be totally screwed.
- Remember that one time my hard drive failed? Haha that was funny
- No brain, that was not funny.
- I want that sweatshirt, wait how did I get on Facebook..
- Now that I’ve written 4000 articles about business can I start my own now?
- I don’t have time for this. WRITE MORE WORDS.
- What was I just spacing out about for five minutes? If I’m going to space out for five minutes I at least want to get something out of it.
- I can literally feel my brain melting.
- Did you know the more you use your brain the more you crave carbs? Wait where did all those candy wrappers come from
- I’M DONE I’M DONE I’M DONE I’M DONE
- Oh look at how much I still have to write tomorrow
- Be a writer, they said
- You’re so good at it, they said
- Adults don’t get vacations right?
- I think I’m going to write a random blog post now.
Image courtesy of Luis Carlos Barria/flickr.com.
Meg is the creator of Novelty Revisions, dedicated to helping writers put their ideas into words. She is a freelance writer and an eight-time NaNoWriMo winner with work published in Teen Ink, Success Story, Lifehack and USA TODAY College. Follow Meg on Twitter.