1. Stop making excuses. You’re better than that!
2. Know that you’re not going to enjoy your go-to “procrastination activity.” The guilt is real.
3. Write something you’re excited about for five minutes. Then do the less exciting thing.
4. Remember how awesome it feels when the writing’s done.
5. Promise yourself a fun (read: tasty) reward for completing your task.
6. Unplug the TV.
7. Disconnect the internet.
8. Throw your phone into a fire.
9. Barricade yourself inside your home.
10. Soundproof your walls.
11. Literally glue your butt to a chair.
12. Just … write.
Meg is the creator of Novelty Revisions, dedicated to helping writers put their ideas into words. She is a staff writer with The Cheat Sheet, a freelance editor and writer, and a 10-time NaNoWriMo winner. Follow Meg on Twitter for tweets about writing, food and nerdy things.