1. A little bit of writing is better than none.
2. Terrible first drafts are better than never being able to say you’ve finished something.
3. If you don’t take your writing seriously, no one else ever will.
4. Perfectionism is overrated.
5. You don’t need to watch every new show just because all your friends just binged it.
6. Haven’t seen the latest Oscar-worthy film because you’re on deadline? That’s OK.
7. Writing communities are great. In moderation.
8. You don’t have to respond to every email, notification, or comment.
9. Some people talk about writing more than they actually write. Don’t be one of those people.
10. You don’t need to know everything. It’s OK — even helpful — to learn as you go.
11. Curiosity can be a major distraction. It can also drive you to write better content.
12. “Writer’s Block” is an excuse, not a reason.
13. You have to decide the sacrifices you will make for your writing life — if any.
14. No one else can motivate you to write, only you can do that. It is up to you to do the work.
15. Do it for you first and foremost. No one will ever be prouder of your accomplishments than you.
Meg is the creator of Novelty Revisions, dedicated to helping writers put their ideas into words. She is a staff writer with The Cheat Sheet, a freelance editor and writer, and a 10-time NaNoWriMo winner. Follow Meg on Twitter for tweets about writing, food and nerdy things.
7 thoughts on “15 Simple Reminders You Might Need If You’re Not Getting Enough Writing Done”
You are so right! So many times I feel the need to catch up on binge series and I neglect writing altogether! I need to focus!
Yep. It’s always those “recommended for you” emails from Netflix that get you :P
I always look forward to your thoughts. The last two items definitely apply to me, and curiosity can be a useful tool for me. It always me to stretch my writing interests as well as topics.
I’m so glad you found this post helpful and relatable. :) Doesn’t always align exactly with everyone but it’s good to know some points hit home haha.
Reblogged this on Author Don Massenzio and commented:
Check out this insightful post from the Novelty Revisions blog with 15 Simple Reminders You Might Need If You’re Not Getting Enough Writing Done
Reblogged this on Viv Drewa – The Owl Lady.