1. You just finished a big project and you deserve a break! Go you!
2. You just decided to put a big project on hold. You got this.
3. You’re feeling creatively stuck/drained.
4. You accomplished a small goal. Yay!
5. You feel emotionally disconnected from your work.
6. You’re questioning whether or not writing is still your “thing” …
7. … or whether or not you want it to be your career.
8. You want/feel motivated to write, there are just more pressing priorities right now.
9. You don’t feel motivated to write at all but aren’t sure of the reason.
10. You’re just not where you need to be mentally to do your best writing.
11. You want to give your work some room to breathe.
12. You’ve been working really hard. Yes. You deserve a break.
Meg is the creator of Novelty Revisions, dedicated to helping writers put their ideas into words. She is a staff writer with The Cheat Sheet, a freelance editor and writer, and a 10-time NaNoWriMo winner. Follow Meg on Twitter for tweets about writing, food and nerdy things.