1. I have a new idea for a book! Do I have time for a new idea for a book? What is time? NEW IDEA!
2. I cannot stop thinking about this new idea. It is consuming me.
3. Maybe … maybe I’ll just open a blank document and write a few paragraphs to get it out of my system. There’s no harm in that, right?
4. I have written 20 pages of a book? I guess I should keep going??
5. THIS IS THE BEST IDEA FOR A BOOK I HAVE EVER HAD.
6. And it’s actually WORKING! It doesn’t totally suck! I’M DOING IT! I’M WRITING A BOOK!
7. This is the worst idea for a book I have ever had.
8. I can’t decide if I should force myself to finish it or just quit now.
9. Is it too late to quit? Am I too far in? Am I allowed to just … stop?
10. I don’t totally hate the idea I just … this is harder than I thought it would be. Writing a book is like running a marathon except it takes, like … months. I’m tired.
11. But I still can’t stop thinking about the book. I don’t want to stop writing it. I just don’t know if I can finish it.
12. What if I just tried? What if I just sat down and tried to keep writing until I either finished or just couldn’t do it anymore?
13. OK, I’m going to do it. I’m going to try finishing what I started.
14. Wow. This is kind of hard.
15. Actually … it’s not that hard after all. It’s actually almost fun?
16. I’m writing a book and I’m maybe going to finish it!
17. I’m so proud of myself for not quitting!
18. This is going to be the best book ever!
19. I HATE THIS BOOK I WANT TO FINISH IT JUST SO I CAN BURN IT.
20. Once I’m done I never want to look at this thing ever again.
21. I’m … done? And I don’t totally hate every part of it? Just some parts?
22. Maybe I’ll just edit a few pages. Just to get it out of my system …
Meg is the creator of Novelty Revisions, dedicated to helping writers put their ideas into words. She is a staff writer with The Cheat Sheet, a freelance editor and writer, and a 10-time NaNoWriMo winner. Follow Meg on Twitter for tweets about writing, food and nerdy things.
One thought on “The 22 Stages of Writing a Novel, From THIS IS THE BEST IDEA EVER to I HATE EVERYTHING”