1. You’re writing something new. It comes with its own challenges, but it doesn’t mean you’re suddenly a “bad” writer.
2. Honestly? Life may have gotten stupid and you’re just now realizing you need to take a step back and deal with that. (And that’s OK. Life will do that sometimes.)
3. You’re trying to tell a story that isn’t as easy to tell as you thought it would be. And maybe that’s a good thing.
4. It’s been a while since you took a “real” break.
5. You’re a little burned out. Or a lot burned out.
6. Which means it’s a good time to walk away from writing for a little bit and give your brain some rest.
7. You’re facing new creative challenges, which could mean you’re pushing yourself — and slowly improving!
8. You’re taking on more than you can handle at once. Maybe consider slowing down or taking a step back to re-evaluate your circumstances.
9. You might be doubting yourself a little. It happens to the best of us! Remember: All you have to do is your best, whatever that looks like today.
10. You’re on your way to finishing something amazing. It’s not going to be easy. But it’s going to be worth it.
Meg is the creator of Novelty Revisions, dedicated to helping writers put their ideas into words. She is an editor and writer, and a 12-time NaNoWriMo winner. Follow Meg on Twitter for tweets about writing, food, and Star Wars.