1. What you write about on your own time.
2. Your writing goals.
3. Whether or not you decide to write instead of doing … literally anything else.
4. Whether or not you submit your work to an editor, publisher, agent, or publication — and when.
5. Whether or not you share your work with other people.
6. How often you write.
7. Where and how much you write (most days).
8. Whether or not you show support to other writers.
9. How you ask for and respond to constructive criticism.
10. How you treat others in the writing community.
11. How you approach setbacks and rejection.
12. Whether or not you’ll keep writing — even when things get tough. Even when you’re afraid you’ll forget why you keep doing it anyway.
Meg is the creator of Novelty Revisions, dedicated to helping writers put their ideas into words. She is an editor and writer, and a 12-time NaNoWriMo winner. Follow Meg on Twitter for tweets about writing, food, and Star Wars.